2007年7月25日星期三

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult


Ying, I know I had told you that I would not buy books before you come to Singapore for my convocation this coming Friday. But I just couldn't help it when there's a book fair! Hahahaha!

Yeah, I just bought two books last week, both by Jodi Picoult. I decided that it's enough "chim" books for me for the past few weeks. I need some refreshments with some fiction. I have read reviews on Jodi Picoult's books but never ended with reading any one of them. This book fair had given me the chance. It's a buy one free one deal, so I got two of them.

I've learned much more about Amish in this book. In case you do not know what is Amish, they're a group of people, who live without technology (no TV, internet, electricity, telephone etc), self sustain, ride on horse etc, in Pennsylvania State of USA.

An Amish girl, Katie had been convicted murder of her new born baby. Ellie, a lawyer from the city had come to defend her, by chance. That's the beginning of the whole story. Why is it interesting? Because of all the cultural shock between the two very extreme cultures.

Amish, they are "plain", they call themselves "plain people" while people in the city are "Englisher". That's why the title of the book is "Plain Truth".

I'm not very good in writing reviews, but please read them here.

Conclusions: Good for light reading~

3 条评论:

huinee 说...

I visited an Amish countryside during my visit to Pennsylvannia back in the summer of 2003. It felt like I was at a movie set, you know? They really wore English-type clothes, rode horse-drawn carriages...etc. The funniest thing, though? I saw a few of them in Walmart. So...yep, I don't think they can stay purely Amish for very long...

匿名 说...

Oh my...her stories are all so bittersweet, not good for light reading la, at least for me. Remember I told u about "my sister's keeper", everytime I think abt it, my heart sinks a bit. *sigh*

But Jodi Picoult is really good at capturing people's hearts, tearing mine..*baaaaa*

薇薇 说...

i still think fiction is for light reading if you compare them with some self enrichment, spiritual thingy books.

agree that jodi picoult is really good at capturing hearts..